Learn about guarding, what not to do, and simple exercises to help you teach your dog to be comfortable when you’re near them and their treasured items. Help your dog be comfortable eating meals, chewing bones and enjoying favorite toys when you’re nearby! And teach your dog the useful skills drop it and leave to help them remain safe.
Are You A Dog Training Professional?
This course is eligible for CEU's! Earn 1.5 CEU's through CCPDT or PPG. Click HERE to request additional information.
The knowledge and skills you need to teach your dog to be comfortable when you're near their treasured items.
- Find out what resource guarding is, and why dogs guard their food and toys.
- Learn how to better read your dog's body language to recognize the signs of resource guarding.
- Teach your dog that it's a positive thing when you come near them enjoying their food and toys.
- Create an environment that reduces the likelihood of guarding.
- Teach your dog Leave It and Drop It to help them remain safe.
See the full curriculum below!
Feel empowered to take charge of your dog’s training and help them build good habits!
- Concise, engaging, and practical video lessons and clear, step-by-step, downloadable training plans.
- Structured, step-by-step course curriculum to keep you encouraged and accountable.
- Lifetime course access to progress at the right pace for you and your dog and reference old lessons whenever you need to.
- A supportive online community of other pet owners and the course instructor so you can share progress and ask questions.
Happy to Share is perfect for:
- New puppies
- Newly adopted adult dogs
- People in busy households with lots of activity
- People who want to take their dog out and about to cafes, parks, and outdoor events.
A Note From Instructor Jessica Ring
Hi, I'm Jessica!
My goal is to help you bring out the best in your dog for a happier life together. One way I can do that is to help you reduce conflict and create more harmony around resources — things your dog finds valuable such as food, toys, chewies and other objects. Unfortunately, there is a lot of bad information out in the world surrounding dogs and their valued resources — practices that can actually be quite harmful and backfire, needlessly creating even more conflict, or conflict where there was none.
I created this course to bring you good, useful, helpful information — practices that can help prevent and reduce conflict between humans and dogs. I’ll guide you through effective, efficient strategies to help you teach your dog to be comfortable when you’re near them and their treasured items. And I’ll go over some of the common bad advice that’s out there so you know what to avoid.
Lesson 1: Welcome!
Lesson 2: FAQ's and What to Expect
Module 1: Learn About Guarding
Lesson 3: What is Guarding?
Lesson 4: Why Is it Important to Help Prevent Guarding?
Lesson 5: What Does Guarding Look Like?
Module 2: Prevention Exercises
Lesson 6: Prevention Exercises
Lesson 7: Exercise 1--Food Bowl Bonus
Lesson 8: What NOT to DO (text lesson)
Lesson 9: Exercise 2: Treat Toss Bonuses
Lesson 10: Exercise 3: Trading Toys and Chewies
Module 3: Essential Skills for Sharing
Lesson 11: Teach Your Dog to Drop It
Lesson 12: Teach Your Dog to Leave It
Lesson 13: Wrapping Things Up